Re: Fedora14: Strange and intermittent very slow disks on server

Hi,

> However, I think I will change the drives. I was hoping to try some WD10EADS
> ones I have, but after your issues I will look at the RE series or
> another make ...

Further to what Lamar has already said. I have a pair of these drives
running under F14 (originally F13) and I would never buy them again. I
originally suffered from the 4k partition boundary issue which once
rectified made an enormous difference. I was running several virtual
machines and once I started up more than one VM, it took a life time for
the VM to boot. I was also seeing the same issue with yum, updates
taking a ridiculous amount of time.

You might also when to check the head load cycle count with smartctl

smartctl -a /dev/sdX | grep Load_Cycle_Count

They have stupidly aggressive power saving which as I understand it
cause many unnecessary head parks, depending on the workload of your
system. For example one of my drives hit over 240,000 cycles in 6 months
before I became aware of it. By comparison another 4 year old drive is
currently only showing 70,000 cycles. There's a tool from WD which lets
you alter how aggressively it parks the heads. Unfortunately it's a
vendor specific setting the firmware so you can't use a standard linux
util to change it.

--
Ian Chapman.