Re: About programing, a general question

On 16 December 2010 17:02, Parshwa Murdia <b330bkn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If one has to start from the scratch, from the zeroth level to do the programing, which programing language one should start with? In the ocean of the languages, to start with is really very typical. Can one justify it. Some say Python but again they say it is Perl which is better every time then the Python. Some say to start with C or C++ but again some emphasis to use Java or C#. Many say to go for .Net and VB or COBOL and some say to learn web based programing like HTML, PHP, ASP.Net. In this ocean who is just starting to learn which one he should prefer?

Probably the best way is to visit your local (good) bookshop and find a book called something like "Beginning programming" or sign up for a class in an evening school.  If you like the book, use the language it suggests.

When I taught someone to program a while ago I was careful to pick a language that doesn't have weird gotchas, I wanted something that was designed carefully that doesn't have difficult to explain concepts or exceptions.  I wanted something that is reasonably applicable to future programming languages but something that is easy to get started with.  Throwing someone in at the deep end and starting with C or assembler because its closest to the hardware does not teach you how to program.  C++ is worse.  You also want something that is platform agnostic (at least to a degree).   If I was writing a beginning programming book I'd probably choose Java; if I was teaching someone personally I'd probably choose Python.   And once they know how to write programs, well, they can make their own mind up, it depends what they want to do.

jch