Re: About programing, a general question

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> +1
>
> I learned to program in HP BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN, but 'c' is the way to learn how to program, no 'seat belts'.  I have TWO copies of K&Rs book as well as the 'C Puzzle Book'.

I have K&R's book, too, and that's how I learned c, but I already knew
PL/I, Fortran, and, of course, Basic.  I wouldn't recommend any of
those languages for a beginning programmer.  I wouldn't recommend c++,
either.

There are two ways of thinking about referring to "things" in
programming.  You can refer to memory locations (as in c or Fortran),
or you can refer to "objects."  Neither way is, in my never humble
opinion, perfect or even adequate, but you will be stuck with one or
the other (or both at the same time, as in c++) and whoever is trying
to teach you whatever language will probably make you just as confused
as everyone else appears to be.  Not only that, since programming is
more about theology than anything else, whoever you ask will be trying
to persuade you to join their religious sect.  So, far, you have been
approached mostly by "c" street evangelists.

I've started using Python as a scripting language, and I think it's a
better language for the random computer user to know than most others
because it can work as a hack and run scripting language or as the
basis for more serious programming, but that's my opinion of the
moment.  If you *do* learn Python, I think the fork into most other
languages will be easier.  Do **not** begin with c.  If you want to
deal with machines at that level, learn and use assembly language,
which can be a lot of fun and is not encumbered with funky
abstractions (other than what the OS forces on you).

Robert.