various errors related to configuration

I started with an evolution configuration error, and now a
Firefox/Mozilla configuration error, so it appears to me that this might
be a system level error.  Maybe some file or directory permissions
issue, or perhaps a generic configuration error.

I tried using the Firefox ProfileManager to create a new profile, but
that lost me all my bookmarks, as well as not changing a problem getting
my home page to load at startup, in spite of that being the selection on
the preferences page, even after creating a new user profile with the
profile manager.  Java won't run, even after reloading from the software
add/remove manager.

 Next I went to the Java website to get the new package, and retrieved
the jre-6u23-linux-x64-rpm.bin file.  when I attempted to source that
file I get:

$ ./j*bin
Unpacking...
Checksumming...
Extracting...
UnZipSFX 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx).
replace jre-6u23-linux-amd64.rpm? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename:
  inflating: jre-6u23-linux-amd64.rpm
error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock
(Permission denied)

but the file appears to uncompress and be present as:

jre-6u23-linux-x64-rpm

but I am unsure of loading it with the prior error in existence.

There may be other configuration issues as well, that I just haven't
stumbled onto the situation where they will show up yet.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems?

I haven't had this much difficulty since maybe my first Fedora
installation.  I know that this is all 64 bit, and that there may be
some teething issues for me, but these kinds of errors, and the issues
of moving all the configurations under a new umbrella with little
background on why, where, premissions, access, and guidance doesn't give
me much to go on.  I know just enough to be dangerous, and apparently
not enough to be able to find and fix the problems.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Les H