Re: bind 9.7.2-4.P3 in f14 not working with previous reverse lookup zone file

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 22:04 -0700, dave perry wrote:
> The zone file contents being rejected follow:
>
> $TTL            86400
> @               IN      SOA     ns1.colo-perrys.com.  hostmaster.colo-perrys.com. (
>                                                          2010121301 ; Serial
>                                                          28800      ; Refresh
>                                                          14400      ; Retry
>                                                          3600000    ; Expire
>                                                          86400 )    ; Minimum
>                 IN      NS      ns1.colo-perrys.com.
> 100             IN      PTR     colo-perrys.com.
> 2               IN      PTR     dadsoffice.colo-perrys.com.
> 9               IN      PTR     mobile1.colo-perrys.com.
> 10              IN      PTR     unclecarl.colo-perrys.com.
> 4               IN      PTR     Dave-PC.colo-perrys.com.
> 20              IN      PTR     Linksys-WAP54G.colo-perrys.com.
>
> ;EOF
>
> The error message returned by
>
> named-checkzone
> colo-perrys.com /var/named/chroot/var/named/perrylan.db
>
> is
>
> zone colo-perrys.com/IN: NS 'ns1.colo-perrys.com' has no address
> records (A or AAAA)

Above you've quoted your reverse look-up zone, which looks okay.  It's
the forward zone that should have an A record for the nameserver (NS)
record.

Your reverse zone (above) only needs records for the name (singular) to
be used for each IP.  The forward records list all host names, and say
what IP they have.

Your master file (forward records) should be something like this
(below), based on what I can see of your reverse file, though put the
right IP address for your name server for the ns1 hostname:

$TTL            86400
@               IN      SOA     ns1.colo-perrys.com.  hostmaster.colo-perrys.com. (
                                                         2010121301 ; Serial
                                                         28800      ; Refresh
                                                         14400      ; Retry
                                                         3600000    ; Expire
                                                         86400 )    ; Minimum
                IN      NS      ns1.colo-perrys.com.
                IN      A       100

colo            IN      A       100
dadsoffice      IN      A       2
Dave-PC         IN      A       4
Linksys-WAP54G  IN      A       20
mobile1         IN      A       9
ns1             IN      A       100
unclecarl       IN      A       10

And if you're going the whole hog of running a full LAN, with mail, you
probably should put an MX record in there for your LAN mail server, too.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.