Re: Fedora 14 - no root login !

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 23:36 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 10:31 +0530, Roubhya Shankar Aluni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >       I have installed Fedora 14 but I can't do root login, although I
> > can use 'su' command. But I want to login as root, what to do ?
> >
> > --
> > RsA
>
> Roubhya,
>
> The root account is deliberately disabled for graphical logins.

Under Gnome. Under KDE it's not disabled. That doesn't mean logging into
a GUI as root is a good idea, it almost never is. Since you don't say
why you want to do this you may have good reason, but frankly in my
experience it has never been necessary to do anything I need to do.

> If you
> need to log on as root for maintenance, suggest going to the
> non-graphical runlevel 3 and logging on as root at a command line
> prompt.

Or logging into the GUI as a normal user and using sudo, which is what
it's for.

poc