Re: Linux Format mag. article F14 vs ubuntu

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 16:20 -0500, Robert Myers wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
>> <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > That's not a useful comment unless you explain what you didn't like.
>> >

>> I'm running both Fedora and Ubuntu, right now, at this very second, on
>> the same computer.  There's an instance of XP running, too.  God bless
>> vmware and I hope fedora gets its own virtualization act together one
>> of these days.  I'm a little confused as to which OS is using which
>> ethernet card to do what, but no matter.
>
> OK.
> Not sure exactly what wrong with qemu-kvm and virt-manager (I use the
> former daily), but OK.

Last time I tried was with FC12.  Had to fiddle with a lot of
networking files in /etc and poorly-explained stuff about bridges,
blah, blah, blah.  Never did get the network connectivity I wanted.  I
don't have time for that kind of baloney when vmware just plugs in and
goes.

>> I don't know if it's a pattern or not, but I'm running Ubuntu because
>> packages that are very interesting to me appear more often first on
>> Ubuntu as a part of the distribution than they do on Fedora.
>>

> Care to name a few?

Sage and a related package cadabra.  Those are the most recent.

>> Did I mention that I have a lot of system administration to do?   Even
>> though the packages I'm using on Ubuntu are aimed at *really* savvy
>> people, these savvy people want to use their savvy getting things
>> done, not showing that they can keep up with Fedora studs.
>>

> God I hope you're kidding.
> (Or did I simply failed to understand a hidden joke?)

I used to be a samba stud.  Once I saw that ubuntu would do it for me,
I thought, "Why should I have to?"  I have a pretty complicated
network.  One less application/server to configure is nice.

>> These are not typical clueless "desktop" users.  The same users might
>> well be using CentOS or Fedora or RHEL on a huge cluster, but, when
>> they do, there's a gearhead to take care of all the really cool stuff
>> that Linux studs love to obsess over.
>
> Studs? Gearhead?

Guys who used to mess with their cars, can't do it any more because of
the electronics, and take it out on obscure command line options in
Linux.  They have "detail-oriented/OCD" confused with "smart."  Linux
fairly crawls with these types.  Ubuntu understands that most of the
world is not like that and doesn't want to be like that.

Robert.