Re: how to generate pi in c

On 12/13/2010 02:36 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:

>>> 1.6 G decimals in 20 hours on a machine with 16G RAM, running
>>> x86_64 Fedora 12.
>>
>> Really, I'm curious, is there any real-world problem where anyone
>> would actually *need* pi to a G decimal places? I mean, are these kind
>> of computations actually useful for someone, or is it just a matter of
>> "we have the power to do it, so let's do it" thing? Other than entry
>> into the Guinness book of records, that is?
>
> Yes, there is. Belated response, I know.
>
> There are two important uses for such computations I can
> think of off the top of my head.
>
> First, it's a good test of the functionality of a new machine.
> When the first new unit runs off the factory floor, this type
> of lengthy computation with known results is a good test.

(Flash back 15 years) "I am Pentium of Borg.  Division is futile.  You
will be approximated."

> Second, there are certain theoretical ideas about the distribution
> of digits in transcendental numbers which can make progress via
> such lengthy computations.
>
> Nobody needs more than about 6 figures for doing any engineering
> work, however.

Is string theory, quantum mechanics or relativity the "truer" reflection
of reality?  Hell, we sent space probes on close fly-bys of Uranus and
hit asteroids using good ol' Newtonian mechanics.

(Just twisting the tail!)