Re: Fedora upgrade to a new partition

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | Nb I keep separate /home and /boot partitions,
> | which I don't format when upgrading.
> | (I choose the Custom Upgrade choice,
> | not the disastrously bad default which re-partitions your machine.)
>
> I do something quite similar.
>
> I don't have a separate /boot partition: I keep /boot as part of the
> per-version / partition.
>
> I would not have thought that a single shared /boot would work.
> Different systems might want to have conflicting files (eg.
> /boot/grub/grub.conf).

I've always had a single /boot partition and it seems to work fine,
with the same grub.conf for different systems.

It is true that Fedora installation moves the old grub.conf
to grub.conf.rpmsave ,
but I just append this to the grub.conf the installation creates
(removing the duplication at the beginning).

> I have gotten in trouble in a couple of ways:
>
> - dot-files for different releases don't always "get along".

I agree that this has caused minor problems in the past,
but as it happens there were no problems of this kind for me
in the last upgrade from F-13 to F-14.
In any case, it would take far longer for me to copy over all the dot files
than it would to correct the one or two problems that might arise.

> - once (a long time ago) a new Fedora relabeled /home (in the SELinux
>   sense, I think) and made it impossible for the old Fedora to access.

I'm an SELinux coward - I start off in enforcing mode,
but the first time I get an SELinux problem I don't immediately understand
I switch to permissive mode.

> Another issue: how to do booting.  What lives in the Master Boot
> Record (the first track on the drive)?  What lives in each partition's
> Boot Record?

Again, I don't understand the problem.
Fedora installation uses the MBR, and this seems to me to work fine.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net