FluidSynth configuration

I installed FluidSynth and qsynth on my F13 / KDE install. When qsynth
comes up, it asked me to do some additional configuration by modifying
/etc/security/limits.conf to add:

  @audio          -       rtprio          100
  @audio          -       nice            -10

After I made the changes and restarted it, it then asked me to add
myself to the audio group.

I'm not sure what I did or why this needs to be done. I'd appreciate a
pointer or some better advice.

Logging in with my new group showed that qsynth was working, although
I have yet to hear any sound from it. I tested with pianobooster,
musescore, firefox on a site with MIDI, and a few other MIDI apps I
thought would make MIDI sound.

(I haven't logged out and back in through X yet. I'd prefer not to
have to do so.)

Am I doing something wrong? Should I go talk with the FluidSynth guys
about my particular situation? Do we need to tweak the fluidsynth RPM?
(I'm volunteering to help.)

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx