RE: Multifunction laser printers for Fedora 14 ?

STOP SENDING ME FUCKING EMAIL YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Fernando
Cassia
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 9:07 PM
To: Community support for Fedora users
Subject: Re: Multifunction laser printers for Fedora 14 ?

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Using a Brother MFC-8840D here, pretty much all functionality is
> available over the network & comes in Fedora install (possibly part in
> repos)

I agree. Brother used to be great performing, low-cost, compatible
printers, using standard languages (PCL and PostScript). Sadly I can
hardly find those down here.

A decade ago when I was still a rebel IBM OS/2 user, getting a PCL or
PostScript printer meant flawless operation regardless of the make and
model of the printer as you could even set up the drivers as "HP
Laserjet II" and the printer wouldn´t care (it was all PCL anyway).

However, it seems the trend nowadays for low cost desktop laser
printers is to move away from PCL and PostScript and into new
propietary page description languages.... probaby to save $10 in
royalties to HP or Adobe... just when advances in CPU power could give
us seamless PostScript with immediate printing (I still remember my
Texas Instruments microlaser with its internal 14mhz Motorola 68000 to
process postscript jobs... it had you looking at the blinking led and
"processing postscript" message for two minutes before spitting out
the printed page....

FC