Re: Samsung Laser Printers - propietary Page Description Language? (ML-1665)

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/05/2010 10:22 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I´m thinking of replacing my ages-old HP LaserJet 1100 (PCL4, PCL5, 16
>> MB RAM) with a with a very affordable yet fast Samung (model ML-1665 -
>> product info at
>> http://ho.io/samsunglasers )
>
> A couple of years ago, I bought a Samsung CLP-510 at a big box store.
> The clinching factor was the Linux Compatible sticker on the side.
>
>> Samsung provides propietary, binary-only drivers for Linux at this location
>> http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/DR/201001/20100121132724343/UnifiedLinuxDriver_0.86.tar.gz
>
> What I got was a Samsung interface to the LPR-ng interface.  I installed
> it without too much pain on FC5.  I then upgraded to F8 and then to F10,
> now to F13.  It still works pretty well, both locally and remotely.  Of
> course, these drivers "pre-date" the newer "unified" driver.

Update: these Samung lasers use Samsung´s propietary SPL (Samsung Page
description Language). So there´s no PCL, at all... and yes,Microsoft
was behind SPL... oh the surprise (not!).

-----------
"SPL - Samsung Printer Language

Microsoft and Samsung developed the Samsung Printer Language (SPL).
This enabled the windows GDI language to be converted into bitmap
while printing. The advantage here helped prevent heavy dependence on
the PC memory and processor. The image is rendered during printing
process, which greatly reduces the amount of processing power required
from the PC."
-----------
http://new.undocprint.org/formats/page_description_languages/spl

However, there´s nope... I just need to know if this particular model
uses SPL or SPL2 (yes, there´s a "SPL2", used also by some printers).

"QPDL - Quick Page Description Language. Also known as Samsung SPL2.
Is used by Samsung, Xerox and others"

SPL2 aka QPDL (Quick Page Description Language).
http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/splix/doc/1.0/specs-en.pdf

It´d be too much to ask the manufacturers to clearly print in the
specs what PDL or standards does it support, right?. ;-)

Linux driver for SPL2 aka QPDL
http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/

Funny notice: "*** DON'T USE the foo2zjs package from:
     	Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandrake/Manrivia, Debian, RedHat, Fedora, Gentoo,
Xandros, EEE PC, Linpus, MacOSX, or BSD! Download it here and follow
the directions below."

"foo2qpdl is an open source printer driver for printers that use the
QPDL wire protocol for their print data, such as the Samsung CLP-300
or the Samsung CLP-310 or the Samsung CLP-315 or the Samsung CLP-600
or the Samsung CLP-610ND or the Samsung CLP-620ND or the Xerox Phaser
6110. These printers are often erroneously referred to as winprinters
or GDI printers. However, Microsoft GDI only mandates the API between
an application and the printer driver, not the protocol on the wire
between the printer driver and the printer. In fact, QPDL printers are
raster printers which happen to use a very efficient wire protocol.
QPDL is just one of many wire protocols that are in use today, such as
Postscript, PCL, Epson, ZjStream, etc. "

However, the 1665 is not listed :-(
FC