Re: K3B won't Accept wav. files

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Around the winxp timeframe -perhaps earlier- the Redmond Juggernaut
> started using a compression codec in wav files. So they might have a
> wav extension and wav header, but the content can be compressed with
> one codec, whose name escapes me at the moment...

This is one year old, but maybe provides a hint...
http://thebottle.org/blog/computers/convert-adpcm-wav-to-mp3/

"If your recording device records ADPCM .WAVs then you will know that
you can’t open these files in sound editors like Audacity. If you
search online you will find that most conversion applications like
CDex don’t support this format either. I couldn’t find any free or
open source program to convert this type of file until I opened it in
Windows Sound Recorder."

That is, most sound editors and players that claimto support WAV
expect the modulation to be PCM, not ADPCM, unless the program has
been updated to support it.

Differences Between PCM/ADPCM Wave Files Explained
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/89879

"Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) and Adaptive Delta Pulse Code Modulation
(ADPCM) are subclasses of the Microsoft waveform (.WAV) file format.
In PCM, data for .WAV files is stored using linear samples, while
ADPCM uses deltas between samples. "

Wav files can use other modulation formats as well. I found the hard
way that wavs recorded by my Samsung digicam use u-Law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Μ-law_algorithm
FC