Re: rpm deduplication question

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 21:00 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Robert G. (Doc) Savage <dsavage <at> peaknet.net> writes:
>

> > I don't know when/how this happened, but I'm sure there's a faster way
> > to fix this problem.  My trusty old 32-bit F13 laptop seems to have
> > several duplicate packages on it. For example:
> >
> > # rpm -qa | grep foofile
> > foofile-1.0-fc14.noarch
> > foofile-1.0-fc13.noarch
> >
> > The fc14 file is a "sooner" that shouldn't be there. If I use rpm -e to
> > remove it, I suspect I'm removing all the files that also belong to the
> > fc13 package. If I try to remove the fc13 package with the intent of
> > immediately re-installing it, dependency hell often breaks out.
>
> See if you can remove the package, if so then verify the remaining package with
> "rpm -V foofile-1.0-fc13.noarch". If it doesn't verify, you can "yum reinstall
> foofile-1.0-fc13.noarch". I had a similar problem recently during an interrupted
> yum transaction, and was able to remove one of the packages, and the remaining
> one verified properly.
>
> You might want to also look at yum shell (man yum-shell) which allows you to do
> several transactions at once as long as dependencies are satisfied at the end.
>
> > Isn't there an rpm argument set that will allow me to simply
> > "overinstall" a currently-installed package, replacing any missing
> > files? I've tried 'rpm -ivh --replacepkgs' without success. The man page
> > for rpm could be a bit clearer.
>
> You might need --replacefiles and/or --oldpackage as well (all 3 together are
> equivalent to --force), but you could just use "yum reinstall <package>" as
> mentioned above.

Andre,

It will take me umpteen iterations, but this appears to work:

        # rpm -e foofile-1.0-fc14.noarch
        # rpm -V foofile-1.0-fc13.noarch
        ... a lot of ".......T." output, so:
        # yum -y reinstall foofile-1.0-fc13.noarch
        Recheck:
        # rpm -V foofile-1.0-fc13.noarch
        ... clean

'yum reinstall' is the step-saver I needed. Thanks very much.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL