Re: F12 -> F14 (via preupgrade), not so smooth

Another 2 weeks (or more) have gone by, and I have another update.  B^)

I am now booting using the radeon driver.  I have 1200x800 on my laptop
again.  What I had to do was remove both "nomodeset" and "VGA=791" from
my kernel boot line in /etc/grub.conf.  I also deleted my
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  It would seem that the "VGA=791" is what was
hosing X11 over when it tried to startup.  To boot, while the screen
starts up in 80x25 text mode, it changes to a higher resolution text
mode during the boot up for me (the whole reason I was using "VGA=791"
in the first place).

I can not only run in full resolution again, but switching back and
forth between text consoles and the GUI is now instantaneous and perfect
(no screen corruption).  I have also noticed that I can now suspend and
resume properly.  This hasn't been the case since F9 (when "nomodeset"
was required in order for suspend to complete properly).

The only "problem" I am running into is the desktop background.  Way
back in FC6, I set it to the "Earth from Space" background.  It is a
1600x1200 JPG with the Earth seen in the lower left corner.  Because my
screen is 1200x800 native, this background is now appearing "scaled" on
my desktop, which means it is 1067x800 and is centered in my display
with 2 white bars on the left and right sides.  If I right click on the
desktop, I can bring up the "Change Desktop Background" window (which is
labeled "Appearance Properties" and I can select "stretch" for the
Style, and the 2 white bars disappear as the picture streches to fill my
display.  This is the way it was on both FC6 and F9.  I have changed
nothing here.  Since F12 and now on F14 I can "temporarily" change the
size of my desktop, *BUT* when I switch to another virtual desktop (I am
running with 9 virtual desktops in a 3x3 arrangement) the changes
disappear and the "Earth from Space" desktop re-appears in its original
scaled version (with the white bars again).  I've even changed the
picture to a different one, but, no luck.  It stays while I stay in that
virtual desktop, but reverts back to "Earth from Space" "scaled" the
minute I change virtual desktops.  It remains reverted, even if I return
to the virtual desktop that I changed it in!  This one is frustrating
me.  Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong, or how I can change
my desktop appearance in a more *permanent* manner?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx