Re: printer question

On Friday, December 03, 2010 01:36:57 pm ann kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to ask linux can do the networking printer as window
>
> Share it to office environment

One client I set up with Fedora (he's on 13, but the same works otherwise) I set up to share his printers; you need to enable the network ports in the iptables configuration (the 'firewall configuration' application allows this with a simple checkbox next to 'Samba' and 'Samba Client' (the Samba line is a superset of the Samba Client line).

Then, in the printer configuration dialog, right click on the printer; there is a checkbox for shared.

His wife is running Ubuntu 6.06LTS (for some good business reasons, althought I'm going to upgrade her to CentOS 6 when that's out; she is, uh, kainotophobic, so a long-term supported release is a must for her and if there's going to be change, let's do it once; she can handle it once every five years).  Both the Ubuntu 6.06 box and the F13 box are ethernet connected to their DSL router.

In any case, he had bought a new Epson RX580 a while back, and had a hard time finding the USB 'B' port (the RX580 has an 'A' port in plain sight, and he wanted a 'USB crossover' cable to use that port....the USB 'B' port is located under the top cover that you raise to change the ink.....).  So, when I found the B port for him (and showed him where it was in the manual), we plugged it in.  His F13 box found the printer, configured the drivers, offered to print a test page, and 'Just Worked' without either of us having to go into the printer configurator.

About thirty seconds later the Epson RX580 showed up on his wife's Ubuntu 6.06LTS printing dialogs; a test page from her later and I had two happy campers.  This is the way printing is supposed to work.