Re: Init fails on FC14

On 3 December 2010 11:36, Heinz Diehl <htd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The same behaviour was present on all 4 machines:
booting into Gnome, opening a console, "su root",
init 3 -> nothing happens, the logout and shutdown buttons disappear
and the machine becomes unstable. This was not present in F13, which were
on those 4 machines about 1/2 year ago.

I get slightly different behaviour with a KDE desktop (started from gdm though).  In my case I tried "init 1" and most processes, including the X server, were eventually killed.  However, I had waaay too many processes left by the time I got to the single user prompt.   As I recall, there were about half a dozen of which the only one I can remember is the openoffice.org quick start thing.   Obviousy the only things that should have been there are the single user shell and the kernel-context processes.

This looks like a problem with the upstart-init not actually killing off everything it should be killing off.

jch