Re: pure number allowed as username in the useradd command?

pe, 2010-12-03 kello 00:42 +0000, Marko Vojinovic kirjoitti:
> On Thursday 02 December 2010 21:02:17 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 18:10 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > > Can somebody explain why pure numbers are allowed for username in the
> > > useradd command?
> > >
> > > sudo useradd 123456789
> > >
> > > is not rejected!
> > >
> > > As is known, this leads to big problems if referring to such a user and
> > > the username differs from the userid: should such a username be
> > > interpreted as username or userid?

<--SNIP-->
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

My system serves as email2sms gate. On this system there's a lot of user
accounts consisted only of digits. They're interpreted as phone numbers.
Each user has an email address like this: <phone
number>@<gate_address.com> (e.g. 79057777009@xxxxxxxxxx). And sending
email to that account results in sending an SMS to <phone number> where
text of SMS is the body of email. Everything works like a charm! I've
not encountered any problems with nearly 50 users on my system with
unames from pure numbers.
--
Ok, I'm just uploading the new version of the kernel, v1.3.33, also
known as "the buggiest kernel ever".