yum and groupinstall

I have setup a local repository containing several .rpm files. I created a comps.xml file outlining the category and groups for the local repository. However, when I issue the yum grouplist command, I get the following error:

Failed to add groups file for repository: localRepo - comps file is empty/damaged

However, if I try to install one of the the packages in the repository, it works just fine.

Here are the steps I took to create the repodata:

The comps.xml and repository are stored in the directory:
/var/www/html/myrepo/x86_64

cd /var/www/html/myrepo/x86_64
createrepo -g comps.xml .

This created a /var/www/html/myrepo/x86_64/repodata directory which contains the comps.xml and comps.xml.gz file.

Here is my comps.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE comps PUBLIC "-//Red Hat, Inc.//DTD Comps info//EN" "comps.dtd">
<comps>
<group>
<id>NodeManager</id>
<default>true</default>
<uservisible>true</uservisible>
<display_order>1</display_order>
<name>Node Manager</name>
<description>This group manages the node system resources and reports info back to the Service Manager.</description>
<packagelist>
<packagereq type="default">pxNodeManager-1.0-1</packagereq>
</packagelist>
</group>
<category>
<id>CustomSoftware</id>
<display_order>1</display_order>
<name>Custom Software </name>
<description>Custom Software Suite </description>
<grouplist>
<groupid>NodeManager</groupid>
</grouplist>
</category>