Re: Firefox and Opera on FC14 fail to access Globus site

Abu Attar Musharih <abuattar.musharih <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > 3. Opera blockers ?
> >   Tools - Advanced - Blocked Content...
>
> I do not know which part to check, no Tools menu.

I do not know what Opera version you have, but on my ver 10.10 and higher
I can see the Menu Bar:
File Edit ... Tools Help

If you can not see it then you have to configure the browser:
in the upper left corner, on the second bar, there must be an icon (first one)
- click your mouse on it and a menu pops up, on which you select
Show Menu Bar

Any way,
let's concentrate on Firefox only for now to fix the problem with that site.

Now tell me how do you access Internet from your machine:
- your machine talks directly (dial-up, ethernet, etc) to ISP ?
- your machine has some kind of modem/router (ADSL, etc) that in turn talks to
  your ISP ?
- your machine is part of a network (corporate ?), thru which you reach ISP
  and Internet ?

Just to avoid any surprises in your Firefox config, make sure there is no proxy
between FF and your machine/outside network:
Edit - Preferences - Advanced - Network - Connection Settings
note (and tell  us) what was in there, and then configure it to:
No proxy
then click OK, and Close to finish config procedure.
You may restart Firefox to make sure it took effect.

In Firefox,
- clear your cache
  Tools - Clear Recent History
  Time range to clear: Everything
  Details: check off all items
  click Clear Now
- now input:
  www.globus.org
  and tell us what exactly is the response you get ?
- now input:
  http://192.5.186.47
  and tell us what exactly is the response you get ?

Give us unedited output of:
$ ping -c 1 www.globus.org
$ ping -c 1 192.5.186.47
$ dig www.globus.org