Re:

On 11/29/2010 08:48 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 29 November 2010 12:49:27 Jerry Feldman wrote:
>>> Isn't it time to ban this idiot?
>> The problem here is that the user's yahoo password has been hacked. I
>> have seen this exact same thing with other yahoo, gmail and aol
>> addresses.  The user needs to change his/her yahoo password to clear
>> this up.
> That wouldn't be so easy. If the e-mail account has been hijacked, the
> hijacker has probably changed the password already, and the user doesn't have
> access to his account anymore. He can ask for help from yahoo, but they are
> usually unwilling to do anything unless the user can prove his identity and
> that the account has actually been hijacked. They also typically refuse to
> give help unless the user has a paid support account with yahoo.
>
> I don't know about aol and gmail, but I doubt they are any different from yahoo
> in this respect. So unless the user has been paying for e-mail services to
> yahoo (and really, why would he ever do that?! ;-) ), he is unlikely to
> retreive his password any time soon...
It is my experience with the several users I know whose accounts were
hacked, it was by script and the passwords were not changed. A simple
changing of the passwords stopped the SPAM. However, you are absolutely
correct if the hacker actually changed the password.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix