Re: Virtualbox, F14 and External USB disk

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 09:22 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Alain Roger <raf.news@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > my host is Windows 7 x64 and i have installed VirtualBox latest version.
>> > in VirtualBox i have a guest F14 with latest updates.
>> >
>> > when i connect my external USB disk to PC, VirtualBox detects it and make it
>> > available for guest (F14) as Mass storage.
>> > However, under F14 i'm not able to find this disk.
>> > 1. how can i check for sure that USB disk is available or not ?
>> > 2. how should i mount it if it is not already mounted ?
>> >
>> > basically data on this USB disk should be recovered and transfered to new PC
>> > (windows system).
>> > Western Digital (WD) have their NAS bookWorld as ext.network/USB disk with
>> > Linux partitions on it.
>> >
>> > thank a lot for help.
>>
>> I believe your disk can only be available to one system at a time. If
>> you have it mounted under your guest then it is not available to the
>> host. Unmount it in Virtualbox and it should show back up on the host.
>
> Not so. I see my external disk as available under VBox Windows (guest)
> even while it's already mounted under F14 (host). I don't use it of
> course, that would be crazy, but it's certainly there. Same happens if I
> plugin a pendrive or iPhone. They show up under both systems.

I have to disagree with your here. I just tried it to confirm and when
I plugged in my USB flash drive it showed up on my desktop and opened
in Nautilus as I expected. When I right-clicked on the USB icon in VB
and checked the flash drive it disappeared from my desktop and was no
longer listed in /media and was accessible from Windows XP. When I
unplugged it from XP (virtually) it reappeared on my F14 desktop.

> To the OP: my memory is hazy on this, but I think you need to a)
> shutdown the guest (not just pause it), b) go to the "add disk" dialogue
> under VBox, possibly under the Machine menu, c) add the disk as a new
> attachment to IDE or SATA and note its device name, d) fire up the guest
> system and try to mount the device. Something along those lines in any
> case.

As far as I can tell the OP is wanting to use a USB disk like a USB
disk, not raw disk access. If you do that, then yes, it is available
on both systems, but that would be necessary and potentially
dangerous.

RIchard