Re: Yum - Different OS version and Arch

Sawrub wrote:
>    On 11/14/2010 03:23 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:33:10 +0530, Sawrub wrote:
>>
>>>     Running Fedora 14 x86_64, i was trying to search for a package using
>>> YUM. The search results lists multiple versions [Fc12, Fc13, Fc14] and
>>> different arch [i686 and x86_64], of which i just need it to list
>>> against Fc14 and x86_64. Why is this so, can we prevent this or is this
>>> a bad/undesirable feature in yum.
>> Packages, which have not been rebuilt for F-14, may still contain an
>> older distribution tag (such as ".fc12") in their package release name.
> That was clear that searching for a packages under the repos may list a
> package that is not of the same OS version [if its not build for that
> version] all i wanted was to know that why are they included in the
> results for a different version of OS. Since as i have read that
> installing packages like this ['OS version xx' packages under 'OS
> version yy' ] should not be encouraged. And since YUM is there to make
> package installation easy, practices like this should not be there there.

If the package is in the repository for the release, it is working for the new
release. You are reading something into the name which isn't there, and trying
to call it a problem. Programs which have no known bugs, particularly those in
bash, perl, python, or similar, don't need to be changed.

Oh, and bravo to those who don't change them, "creeping featurism" has turned
many useful little programs into a complex maintenance nightmare, festooned with
garbage enhancements unrelated to the original purpose. Do we really need the
output of df in csv format (someone offered the code)?

>> With the x86_64 arch you can also install and run i686 for 32-bit
>> compatibility. Not all i686 packages are available in the Yum repository
>> for x86_64, though. Just a subset.
>>
> Yes that i know, all i wanted to say here is that is it a good practice
> to list a package of different arch when the one for the requested is
> not available under the default search. Packages of different arch
> [except noarch] should only be listed against a special YUM option [like
> --enable-different-arch] or be listed under a different head in the
> default listing [like --Different Architecture--].

Different release isn't different architecture, i686 is a subset of x86_64, i386
a subset of i686, etc.

If this really bothers you, write a {perl,awk,bash,python,sed} script to produce
the listing you want. By itself it might be useful.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>