Re: Making space on an EeePC

--- On Thu, 11/18/10, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/11/2010 01:35 PM, Beartooth
> wrote:
> >     I have F14 installed and running on
> an EeePC 701 -- the earliest
> > smallest slowest EeePC afaik.
> >

> I also have an EeePC 701 with 512Mb memory and a 4Gb SSD
> drive.
>

> First you can't do a graphics install on this with F14, as
> it is really
> only 503Mb memory (Video is stealing that 8+Mb).  So I
> either upgrade
> the memory (working on that) or do a text install and then
> install gnome
> later.
>
> Then 4Gb disk just does not cut it.  So I have a 8Gb
> SD card and I
> partition as follows:
>
> On the SSD drive:
>
> A 200Mb ext3 /boot partition (for this system, I can't see
> any value of
> using ext4).
> A 1.5Gb swap partition.
> A ~2.2Gb ext3 /var/log partition (your most active system
> directory).
>
> [snip]

All my research recommended NOT using a journaling filesystem like ext3 on SSDs.  It wears them out faster.  Although, I did read one article where the writer actually crunched numbers, and concluded that SSDs made within the past couple of years have a mean "write" life equal to a typical hard drive.  However, I decided to play it safe, and went with ext2.