Re: Sound doesn't work after upgrade from F13 to F14.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:07:12 -0600
Terry Letsche <terry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I had a working F13 system on my Aspire Laptop. I upgraded to F14 off
> the DVD.
>
> If I boot up and use a F13 kernel, everything is fine. If I boot with
> the F14 kernel, no sound.

It's possible there is a bug in the alsa interface in the F14 version
of the kernel.  Changes are being committed all the time, and maybe one
of them had a regression.

> Running the alsamixer shows as if sound is there (the levels jump
> around), but no sound comes out the speakers. I have checked the alsa
> mixer to make sure everything is turned up, and stored the settings
> (alsoctl store 0).
>
> My alsa setup is at
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=80...1fd871a78cefd9

Your link doesn't work, the ... is not replaced with the actual link
address.  I assume this was the output of the alsa-info.sh script?

> This is on an Aspire 7736Z-4088 running kernel Linux hortlette
> 2.6.35.6-48.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Oct 22 15:36:08 UTC 2010 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> Any ideas? I'm flummoxed. Like I said, booting into an F13 kernel and
> everything works fine!

Try running aplay -l, look to see how many sound devices the OS thinks
you have.  Your symptoms sound like you aren't playing sound where you
think you are.  If it turns out to be the case that there is more than
one sound device, you can fix this by putting something
in /etc/modprobe.d or using pavucontrol to assign the sound devices in
pulseaudio.  Sometimes modems and video cards have components that are
interpreted as sound devices, throwing off the placement of sound
devices.