Re: I need a new linux homepage. Ideas ?

On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 13:08 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Very interesting. I created a blank "home page" in Firefox, copied
> it to file:///mnt/srvr1/index.html and made that the opening page.
> That worked on this F-13 box and was accessible on the F-14  too.
> Then I thought I'd try Opera on the F-14 computer but anything I did
> caused Opera to choke on that address, it kept inserting "localhost"
> and I had to keep killing it.

file:/// is the same thing as file://localhost/

It's construed of file:// as protocol and separating punctuation,
following be hostname and path e.g. localhost/ (which is root on this
machine).  Localhost can be omitted, and you'd see three slashes in a
row, and the software will presume it's presence where it ought to be.
Also, another hostname could be used, and so long as it was accessible,
it could be used, instead.

e.g. file://server/bookmarks.html

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r