Re: Preupgrade with multiboot: can't find right target

On 11/12/2010 02:04 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi: I'm new to this list and haven't found a searchable archive, but I
> haven't seen this topic in Google.
>
> My box came with MS Vista and I initially added f10, which was fully
> updated until near EOL.  Later I added a second disk and f12, and
> recently I used preupgrade for f12-to-f13.  That went well, and I
> decided to try f10-to-f14.  The packages were identified and put into
> cache and after I had copied the new lines in grub.conf from disk 1 to
> disk 2 the upgrade entry appeared in the Grub menu.  The kernel boots
> but I don't think it sees the preupgrade cache and the only option
> offered is to upgrade the f13 system.  I don't want to do that.
>
> I've tried various modifications to grub.conf without success.  One
> recent iteration is below.  The f10final and f13 entries, and the MS
> related ones, all work and I've left the f10release entry in case it
> holds useful data.  I downloaded the f14 installer and when I specify
> its location on disk 2, (/dev/sdb1  /install.img) it runs.  Again, the
> location specified in grub.conf apparently doesn't get used, although
> it's there too.

I don't think a preupgrade which skips three releases (10->14) is
supported.  Single upgrades (10->11, 11->12, 12->13, 13->14) generally
work, but skipping intermediate stages is quite problematic.  There's
a lot of stuff that changed significantly between F10 and F14.