Re: AdobeReader on Fedora 14 (x86_64)

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 09:39 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:47:17 +0100
> Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>
> > Has anybody succeeded in installing AdobeReader on F14 64-bit?
>
> It is possible, but tricksy, because yum will try to resolve
> library deps from things like the spanish version of
> adobe reader if you have the adobe repo enabled. I have
> finally worked out a scheme that works for me.
>
> yumdownloader AdobeReader_enu
> yumdownloader flash-plugin
>
> edit /etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux-i386.repo and set enabled=0
>
> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
> yum localinstall *
>
> Later, after you have everything else installed OK, it is
> safe to re-enable the adobe repo to get updates.

Actually there is an easier way that I stumbled across.

It turns out that the 32-bit Flash Player and Adobe Reader have pretty
much the same 32-bit dependencies. If you follow the instructions on the
Fedora Project Wiki to prepare F14 x86_64 to install the 32-bit Flash
player, but then install Adobe Reader instead, it works perfectly -
including the Firefox plugin.

That specific prep command is:
su -c 'yum install nspluginwrapper.{x86_64,i686}
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 --disablerepo=adobe-linux-i386'

After that, I used:

yum localinstall --nogpgcheck <path to Adrobe Reader RPM file>

...to install Adobe Reader. Worked like a champ.

URL for Fedora Project Wiki:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash

Perhaps we should update the Wiki accordingly...?

Cheers,

Chris