Re: While waiting for Fedora 14, a question for the engineering types re: searching and finding

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 17:35 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Thank you Marko and Patrick:
>
> On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 21:36 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 28, 2010 19:27:16 William Case wrote:
> > > How does the cpu search and find stuff?
> > >
> > > There is a huge amount of searching and finding of text in
> > > memory, conditional statements requiring comparisons, and the use of
> > > entry points but not exact addresses from within both kernel space and
> > > user space.  It has occurred to me that a there is necessarily a lot of
> > > physical or bit comparing going on.  Too much, I would think, to keep
> > > dumping a search criteria into a cpu register and then replacing the
> > > contents of a second register from a block of memory until one matches.
> >
> > Believe it or not, in a nutshell that's exactly what is happening. When a
> > processor needs to "search" for something in memory, it typically does a
> > conditional loop --- load the number from memory into the register (the MOV
> > assembly instruction), compare it to the wanted value in the second register
> > (CMP), if they are the same break the loop (LOOPNE), otherwise load the next
> > number and repeat.
> >
> > Why do you think there is "too much" of that comparison going on?
> >

> I didn't think there was too much from my point of view.  I thought
> there might be too much from an engineer's perspective.  As I have dug
> into the inner workings of computers over the last few years, I have
> become enthralled with the ingenuity, if not down right genius, of how
> computers have been designed and improved over the years -- starting
> with basic circuits and instruction sets.  I thought I might have missed
> something -- missed an aha! moment.  In my mind. there was a good chance
> that some engineer somewhere had seen the repetition involved in a
> search and comparison and developed something quite cunning to shorten
> the process.  As I said, I always look for the eureka's.
>
> > > Is there a special unit within the cpu or memory were rapid comparison,
> > > or partial comparisons are made during a search, before a criteria is
> > > noted as found and moved into the cpu registers?  In a generalized way,
> > > at the hardware level, how are searched for criteria found?
> >
> > There is no special unit, AFAIK. You load the two numbers (to be compared)
> > into the processor registers, and do a CMP instruction. The processor
> > basically subtracts the two numbers, and modifies the flag register according to
> > whether the result is positive, negative or zero. The next instruction (say,
> > LOOPNE) inspects the flag register and decides what will be the following
> > instruction, based on the contents of the flags. This "deciding" amounts to
> > changing the value of the IP (instruction pointer) register to one or the
> > other predefined value.
> >
> > You might want to learn a bit of assembly language, if you wish to understand
> > basic low-level operations of the processor. And if you want to understand the
> > concepts of how processors actually work and what is a computer program in
> [...]

There has been some work along these lines with something called Content
Addressable Parallel Processors.  But there are limitations even there.
As the content addressable lines are in essence a parallel bus or can be
implemented by a high speed serial buss that all the processors listen
to, and the interrupt is a serial line that is daisy chained in most
implementations, the intermediate responses still require a single
processor that answers the interrupts and checks the remainder of the
response.  Further, this is a specialized search and retrieval
architecture, and as such it is more or less a dedicated architecture.
That is not bad, but it is expensive relative to the total task a
typical processor has to perform. Moreover each unit on the line is a
processor in itself, which is a relatively expensive implementation for
a memory array.

But it did see sufficient interest that I think the 386 processor had
some dedicated lines to use for that type of machine design.

I haven't heard much about it lately.

Modern hash, tree, and segmented search routines, along with relational
data base development can nearly equal the performance with lower cost
and a more universal architecture, depending on the database
implementation, and of course, a universal architecture can be setup to
perform the CAPP algorithm using a widely distributed architecture.

At least that is my view for what it is worth.

Regards,
Les H