Re: Fedora 13 PAE Kernel and realtec driver compilation problem.

On 10/28/2010 11:17 AM, JD wrote:
>    On 10/27/2010 06:03 PM, EredicatorX wrote:
>
>>     Short version.
>> OS: Fedora 13
>> Kernel: 2.6.34.7-61.fc13.i686.PAE
>> Hardware: Lenovo x100e
>> Problem:Trying to build drivers for realtec wireless lan.
>>
>> When I tried to build drivers initally with
>> rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0018.1025.2010 every time I would try to load the
>> driver with modprobe it would error and say " Invalid module format"
>>
>>     modprobe r8192se_pci
>> FATAL: Error inserting r8192se_pci
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.34.7-61.fc13.i686.PAE/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/r8192se_pci.ko):
>> Invalid module format
>>
>> I modified /usr/src/kernel/2.6.34.7-61.fc13.i686/Makefile and changed
>>     EXTRAVERSION = .7-61.fc13.i686
>>     EXTRAVERSION = .7-61.fc13.i686.PAE
>>
>> I then did "make modules" which generated a new version of version.h&
>> utsrelease.h which had the correct PAE version in it. The build error
>> out after that.
>>
>> Went back to my sources and did a make clean, make and then make install.
>>
>> modprobe r8192se_pci now cause a core dump.
>>
>> I have built kernels in the past but it has been a long time and never
>> had to build a PAE version. What else would be required for me to change
>> in order to build the kernel modules correctly and then build the
>> driver? In the end I am not trying to compile a custom kernel I simply
>> want to use the kernel I have and be able to build drivers against it as
>> needed.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> After you edited the Makefile so the extra version has the PAE,
> does not guarantee to you that the kernel config file you chose
> chose is the i686-PAE config file.
> If you really want to build the kernel from source correctly,
> follow the instructions at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

Thanks JD,

My goal is not to build a custom kernel. My goal is to build drivers for
the current kernel that work.
The problem is the PAE extension on the current kernel name keeps me
from being able to do it and have the drivers load.

Is there another way to do this, besides building a custom kernel?

E./