Re: Multifunction printer with Linux support?

Peter,

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 23.10.2010, 10:38 +0200 schrieb Henrik Frisk:
>> After many years my Samsung MFP died and I need to get a new one. I
>> want a B/W or color laser, preferably duplex, with network interface
>> MFP that works with Linux and OSX. Anyone has any suggestions or
>> recommendations?
>
> I had to check for a new Laser MFP half a year ago. The big problem is
> not a support of the printing facilitiy but of the scanner function,
> especially over network.
>
> HP has a good support for Linux, but their printers, especially the low
> budget models for private or small office use have a lot of problems
> with the paper tray (resulting in a askew image on the paper too often).
> The scanner is also of poor quality. The advertised resolution
> (1200*1200 in most cases) works in single flat bed mode only. Using the
> ADF it decreases significantly (you have to study the user manuals to
> find it because it is nowhere said on the marketing or pre-sell
> material). It always produces a light grey / brown background and I
> found no way to get a clear backbround.
>
> For brother and compatibles scanner support was poor / experimental or
> non-existing at all, especially over network. I didn't want to buy a MFP
> without a reliable scanner support.
>
> So I ended up with Lexmark X544 and X534 (without fax function).
> Printing quality is superior, paper handling marvalous, scanning quality
> excellent (handling of scanning over network is a little bit pedestrian
> because after starting the scanning process on your computer you have to
> go to the MFP to push a buttom). Linux is officially supported on the
> Web support page along with Mac and Windows and by the technical support
> hotline. The Linux driver nicely integrates into the standard
> infrastructure (CUPS, old lineprinter, sane). The costs for consumables
> are similiar to Brother etc, given their prebate and refund program.
> Often they offer a cash back program and refund up to half of the price
> of the printer.

Thank you for this report. It seems your experiences sum up the
thoughts in this thread. HP delivers good drivers but lousy printers
(in low price range) and Brother delivers decent printers for the
price but lousy drivers (for Linux). Based on your suggestions I'll go
for a Lexmark, though I might pick the B/W version X264. Thanks for
all the input!

/h