Re: VirtualBox, USB, Droid & F12

 On 10/23/2010 01:31 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
I'm trying to sync my Droid phone with a Windows application. Doesn't
sound like a Fedora issue at first, but read on.

I've got two machines with the same motherboard and CPU, but otherwise
not identical hardware. Both are running Windows 7 virtual machines
under VirtualBox 3.2.10, latest version downloaded from virtualbox.org.
Both are running Fedora 12.

On one, everything works just fine. On the other, the Motorola USB
device is greyed out and I cannot connect it to the virtual machine. The
Droid is plugged in while configured for "Charge Only", but on both
machines dmesg shows that it is detected as a Mass Storage device and it
is configured as a disk (but not actually mounted). On the one that
works, I can then select it in the Devices ->  USB Devices menu in
VirtualBox and it works just fine on the Windows 7 VM. On the other, it
is greyed out and listed as Not Available. Obviously, something in the
host OS (Fedora 12) has claimed it but I cannot for the life of me
figure out what. This situation persists even if I rmmod the usb-storage
module. In that case, "usbview" shows the Motorola device in red
(meaning it has no driver). But it is still greyed out in VirtualBox.

Is there any way to find out what it is that is claiming this device?
That is the crucial first step to solving this problem.

Thanks,
--Greg

I think this is something you may have forgotten to do when you installed VirtualBox. IIRC your user has to be a member of the vboxusers group or something like that in order for you to access USB correctly. Worth a Google.

BTW, I had successfully used RSDLite within my Win7 guest several times in VirtualBox to flash my DROID (before I discovered sbf_flash, that is).

--
Chris Kloiber