Re: attached file

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 23:10 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> I compressed the file. it ie 56k, but still the post does not go
> through !

Email is 7-bit and binary files are (usually) 8-bit so the encoding
process makes a file attachment substantially larger than the original
file.

Sending a file attachment to a mailing list like this is not really a
great idea anyway.

The best way to handle it is to post your file somewhere and send a
regular email to the mailing list that includes a link to your file and
an explanation of why you think it's interesting.  That way you're not
emailing a relatively large file to potentially thousands of people, 99%
of whom may not be interested in viewing it.

> I do not know how to use pastebin !!!

I've never used pastebin myself so I can't tell you exactly how to use
it; on the occasions that I want to reference a file from a mailing list
I upload the file to my webserver and put a link to that file in the
email to the mailing list.  If you have a webpage anywhere, you can do
that.

Quite a few people do use pastbin for this and that, so it can't be all
that difficult.  Try it and see what happens.  I see that you can set a
short time-to-expiry on a file so you can try "pasting" a small file
with a short time limit for experimental purposes.

If you're really stuck you can email me your file (off of the mailing
list) and I'll put it on my webserver for you for a few days.