Re: Need advice on performance troubleshooting

On Sunday, October 24, 2010 04:18:02 stan wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 02:38:23 +0100
>
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am experiencing a gradual performance drop problem --- having a
> > machine running 24/7, after some time (say, two weeks) the system
> > becomes increasingly slow, in terms of desktop response.
>
> <snip>
>
> > The symptoms appear like something is leaking memory --- slowly
> > (noticable only after two weeks of continuous running), but
> > cumulatively.
>
> This probably isn't much help, but what happens if you log out when it
> starts to slow, stop X, and then start X?  I mean, go to runlevel 3,
> then back to runlevel 5.  If everything is OK again, it tells you that
> the problem is in X. If it isn't, the problem is in the system part,
> the OS.

Just tried it, logged out and logged back in. Didn't go to runlevel 3, X gets
restarted with only logging out and in, AFAIK.

Anyway, you seem to be right! Restarting X purged most of the swap, from
1.3 GB it went down to 31.4 MB. And the system regained responsiveness.

So apparently something inside X is leaking memory. But X has many components
--- compiz, emerald, KDE, Xorg, intel driver, etc., so any idea how do I
diagnose this further?

I mean, I can restore the system either by reboot or logging out/in, but I'd
like to know what is the actual cause of this end eliminate *that*. Hopefully
I would like to correct whatever is wrong so that I don't need to get into the
situation of having to reboot or relogin myself again.

I am open to suggestions on how to proceed in troubleshooting this further. If
anything, my system will become slow again in a week or two... ;-)

Thanks for the help, any further advice appreciated!

Best, :-)
Marko