Re: Block size

  On 10/23/2010 02:49 PM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On a logical partition I am unable to set the block size to 1024 !
>> I formatted the partition mke2fs /dev/VG1/part1 -b 1024 -t ext4
>> and when I do a
>> blockbsz --getbsz or mke2fs -n
>> I get 4096 !
>> I also tried 2048 with the same result.
> But dumpe2fs gives the right answer !
>

>> Is it related to the logical partition ?
>>
>> Thank.

You have to be aware that selecting such a small
block size means that the FS will be allocating
at least 256 bytes of inode space per 1K data block.
So, the amount of space for on-disk metadata is about
25% of the space for data blocks. This is OK if you have
a lot of small files about 1 to 4k in size. Buf it most of
your files are much larger than 1kb, then you have
wasted a lot of disk space for inodes that may never
be used.
Just something to be aware of.