Re: Wine, pulseaudio, Starcraft problems

  On 10/19/2010 10:11 AM, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> On the off chance someone has been down this path....  I'm currently
> running an up-to-date F13 with wine installed.  I run KDE if it
> matters.  I was able to install and start Starcraft 2 using wine.
> Initially, it actually ran quite well on my 2.5-year old system.  The
> only glitch seemed to be that the audio would cut out if the system
> got too bogged down.  (I would also get errors in /var/log/messages
> about pulseaudio's ratelimit kicking in.)  I could go to the Sound
> options and change the sound output device to another in the list and
> that would magically restore the sound for awhile.  Still, that got
> annoying, so I tried to fix it.  Somehow, I made it much worse; now,
> everything is going much more slowly.  I had to turn all the
> performance options to low, and I still only get a few frames per
> second.  And I have no sound.  Now that's really annoying!  I'm not
> sure what I did, aside from a tip I found to get pulseaudio to run
> with higher priority by adding my account to some groups.  I had
> installed tuned, but that seemed to kill performance, so I uninstalled
> it.  I think that at least partially the problem is still rooted in
> pulseaudio.  Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this?  Aside
> from wine, I haven't had any problems with audio (like playing music)
> in a long time.
>
> TIA,
> Reid
What if you login as another user and run it again?
See if that restores some performance.
If it does, there are settings you have in your dot files
that are causing the lackluster performance.
Since I do not know all the dot files of starcraft,
pulseaudio and wine, I guess you have to do some
searching.