Re: su or sudo su?

Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>When I need root access, I used to use sudo su -.

This is plain wrong.  The command should be sudo <command>.

>Recently, I discovered I >could simply type su -.
>
>What's the difference:

Passwords and what is recorded in your log files.  If you use sudo, all actions are recorded (or should be recorded) as occurring under your login.  If you use su - they are recorded as being done by root.

su - exposes the root password and is generally discouraged.  sudo does not but exposes which users have this privilege.  Logins through unsecured means should be disabled or very closely controlled.  Most SAs now disable or remove unsecure login processes at build time.

James McKenzie