Re: authentication issues in system settings

Claude Jones <cjoneslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Sent: Oct 18, 2010 6:15 AM
>To: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: authentication issues in system settings
>
>On Sunday, October 17, 2010, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:29 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
>> > I'm running F14TC1x64 - it's a fresh install over a
>> > problematic F13x64 installation that had problems with X
>> > starting; display problem is now fixed. When I try to access
>> > system settings GUI's for Samba I get a grayed out display
>> > and no prompt to give the root password. There are similar
>> > issues with trying to run the firewall configuration applet
>> > from the menu. If I run the system- config commands from a
>> > root terminal, things work fine. Any suggestions on how to
>> > fix this?
>>
>> This is more appropriate for the Test list. You can find it at
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/test
>>

>I've been a member of both lists since 2003. I asked here because
>I don't think this is an F14 issue. I've had variations of this
>problem across several versions of Fedora - system-settings, while
>a nice feature-set that puts all the major configuration applets
>in one convenient place, has never worked completely faultlessly.
>I had hoped that the greater pool of users on the regular list
>would have gotten me a greater chance at a reply.

Claude and Patrick:

This is an excellent case of something being broken in Fedora, not just in FC14, that just keeps coming back.

Claude:

You were correct in asking this question on the Fedora list, but maybe a little more background would have helped.  Like "I've tried to use this with each release of Fedora, but it appears to be broken, anyone have success with this feature and if so, how?"  Also, reporting this as a bug helps (if there is no bug report.  If there is one, update it with all of the latest information.

All:

Good reason not to jump on someone for reporting what on the surface looks like a problem with FC14.  Maybe asking for additional information is in order before we direct someone to the test list (hmmm?)  Remember, we may want to know about little niggles in FC14 when it is released in two weeks and the work-arounds for them.  Not nice to find out that something is broken on GA day for both the developers and users.  We don't want to emulate several large software companies in that manner.

James McKenzie