Re: authentication issues in system settings

On Sunday, October 17, 2010, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:29 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:

> > I'm running F14TC1x64 - it's a fresh install over a

> > problematic F13x64 installation that had problems with X

> > starting; display problem is now fixed. When I try to access

> > system settings GUI's for Samba I get a grayed out display

> > and no prompt to give the root password. There are similar

> > issues with trying to run the firewall configuration applet

> > from the menu. If I run the system- config commands from a

> > root terminal, things work fine. Any suggestions on how to

> > fix this?

> This is more appropriate for the Test list. You can find it at

I've been a member of both lists since 2003. I asked here because I don't think this is an F14 issue. I've had variations of this problem across several versions of Fedora - system-settings, while a nice feature-set that puts all the major configuration applets in one convenient place, has never worked completely faultlessly. I had hoped that the greater pool of users on the regular list would have gotten me a greater chance at a reply.

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA