Re: Suspend/sleep

Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 09:58:43 AM, Roger K. Wells wrote:
>>
>>    Months ago when I started using Fedora 13 from Centos 5.3
>> one of the reasons was that things just worked.  Things
>> like suspend when the laptop lid is closed.  Lately starting
>> perhaps six weeks ago the probability of a successful suspension
>> and subsequent wake up seems to be about 50%-60%.
>> My question is what can I check to gather evidence about what's
>> going on and how to fix it?
>>
>> uname -r: 2.6.34.7-56.fc13.x86_64
>> Machine: Lenovo X200 Thinkpad.
>
> No problems with suspend (to ram), ASUS Z84F,
> 2.6.34.7-56.fc13.i686.PAE, FWIW.
>
> The first place to look when diagnosing suspend problems is /var/log/
> pm-suspend.log. After that, look at kernel doc, http://
> www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt and
> follow links from there, as seems appropriate.

You need to determine if this is a suspend problem or a resume problem. No, not
kidding, I have been bitten harder by problems showing as a failure to suspend
cleanly (driver changes are good at this) than failure to resume if the suspend
was perfect.

Fedora resume will drop network connections on resume, for some reason using the
network before hetting it back up is not considered vital, so if you have NFS
mounts they will die, your DHCP and LDAP probably die, etc. The network usually
gets up, but often without DHCP running.

I stopped complaining about that after NetworkManagler became the true faith,
and a developer asked me "well, what do you expect?"

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>