Re: NEW to 'Fedora 13'

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
jeff breibart <jefflaw3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello!
>
>     Just bought a used lap-top (-for our child) which has the 'Fedora
> 13' OS installed.
> (-the presence of LINUX was a positive influence in our decision to
> buy this lap-top)
>
>    Unfortunately, my knowledge/familiarity with anything other than
> MS XP is: ZERO !
>
>    After our purchase, I attempted to explore (its) "functionality";
> as a result, I, inadvertently: a) eliminated some of the 'icons', and,
>
>                                          b) cannot 'access' the
> Internet !
>
>                             HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The good news is that your problem(s) is/are probably easily remedied
by someone who is experienced in Fedora, or even linux.

The bad news is you are not that person, and it will be difficult to
guide you through the steps without more information.  It is like
learning a different word processor.  The functionality is the same,
but the commands to do things are all different.

Do you know the root password?  Root is the administrator role that can
do anything on the system.

Have you set up a user account?  That is how you should normally use
the system to avoid the kind of experiences you are having.

Can you get to a console so you can login as root?  Ctl-Alt-F2 held
down together.  To get back to the gui, Ctl-Alt-F1, or sometimes after
multiple logins and logouts, Ctl-Alt-F7 or Ctl-Alt-F8.
If you can login as root, try the command
ifup eth0
(presumes you have a wired connection)  That should get you
internet access again.  If you have a wireless connection, you need to
work with Network Manager.  That will be
System->Administration->Network
System->Administration-Network-Device-Control

What happens if you just try rebooting?  Normally, that should bring
the network back unless you turned it off.  That seems unlikely.

Hope some of this helps.