Re: How to change console font in grub2?

Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I find no valid argument in that page for not using the fedora packages.
> building from source as you do means you lose the ability to verify
> whats installed on your system.  there is zero reason why you cant
> install grub2 as the only bootloader using the fedora rpms you just need
> to run "grub2-install /dev/sda" for instance and going off and doing
> something random on your own means that others can not benefit from your
> efforts.  grub2 could be a viable option for fedora but it still needs a
> lot of work.  the path to it being the default resides in more usage
> testing and bug fixing in fedora.

You asked for my reason.  I gave it.

I was (and still am) a novice at grub2.  The blogger sounded (and still
does sound) like he has lots more experience than I do with grub2.  He
has a tutorial on how to write modules and lots of other stuff for
grub2.  I trusted him (and got everything to work, except the green font
problem that few here have addressed (see my OP).

I also understand that you, Tom H, and others also have vastly more
experience with grub2 than me, and as I read your remarks I learn.

I am also well-aware of the advantages of running an "all rpm" system.
But sometimes non-rpm packages simply must be installed. (I'll admit
grub2 is not one of them, but having read the blogger's description of
the Rube-goldberg scheme fedora concocted, I decided to just remove all
the grub1 stuff and start fresh with grub2.  Learning experience.)

Having said all this, I'm probably going to rip out grub2 (called "grub"
when you install in natively like I did), and restore the old Fedora
grub1 which I understand how to drive pretty well, bugs and all, and
just wait for grub3 as someone advised.  I simply can't live with the
green 1600x1200 fonts. (I use the VT a lot.) And I refuse to learn all
the stuff one must to drive grub2 "properly".  I just want to boot my
system. :-) I've spent the last 4 evenings figuring out how to build
Scilab from source for Fedora 13 (there's no .rpm package).  That's
where (some of) my free time goes.

Dean