Re: Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

On 10/14/2010 12:57 PM, Tim wrote:
> Geoffrey Leach:
>>> Hmmmm ... I think I understand your problem. However, unless you wish
>>> to have the wrath of the Open Source community descend upon your
>>> head,
>
> Valent Turkovic:
>> What is "the wrath of the Open Source community" ? ;) Please define
>> this first so that I can decide if I want it or not.
>
> Good question, I can imagine:  Zero assistance with resolving problems
> and outspoken scorn, for starters.
>
> I've it with some attempts at making bug reports, which got an immediate
> response along the lines of:  Try again without the proprietary thingy.
> And if it works, after that, the solution is to stop using the
> proprietary thingy, get *them* to fix *that*, not for us to change our
> thingummy to suit.

Well, yeah, and quite right too.  We can't fix proprietary drivers and
we don't even know how they work.  We could spend our time debugging
the interaction between proprietary drivers and our code, while trying
to reverse-engineer the weird things the proprietary code may do.  Or,
we could work on our own code to make it good so that people don't
need the proprietary code any more.

Andrew.