python threading limited to 1 or 2 cores

  Hi,

I've discovered from a user I support that the python in fedora 13 does
not use all cores with the threading module but when the python source
is complied and installed with default options then all cores are used.

Can someone explain why this is happening?
Is there a setting to allow users to use all cores?  The server has 48
cores and many others have 8 or 16.

Thank you,
Kevin

--