Re: Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

I started out using nvidia's run packages because the nouveau driver wouldn't
work at all with my onboard GeForce 9100 graphics chip. Now that the nouveau
driver works for me, I've abandoned the proprietary nvidia driver, and updating
is a lot easier..

The proprietary nvidia driver was (and probably still is) faster, but I'm not a
gamer and don't need thousands of frames per second from glxgears. Having to
rebuild the nvidia package after each kernel update was annoying, especially
since I tend to run Rawhide and/or branched pre-releases as my main desktop OSs.
Worst of all, sometimes a kernel upgrade would work, other times the nvidia
package would compile but not run, and still other times the nvidia package
would not even compile. I'm impatient, and rpmusion was too slow with their
updates for me (but they do an excellent job, and this is not meant in any way
as a complaint ), so I didn't generally use their kmods.