Re: Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 19:55 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>
>> I would like to ask any NVidia Fedora users do you use open source or
>> proprietary NVidia drivers?
>>
> I generally use the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
>

>> Why do you use driver that you use?
>>
> Because it supports capabilities that the nouveau driver does not, in
> particular VDPAU. The nouveau support for 3D is also spotty at best (or
> was the last time I tried it).
>

>> What
>> are the benefits and disadvantages to both of them?
>>
> nouveau: it's free software, no restrictions.
> nvidia: not free (as in speech) but it works better for my needs and is
> at least free (as in lunch).
>

>> If you use proprietary drivers how do you install them?
>>
> I have always downloaded the pkg.run file from Nvidia and run it with
> "sh". This does require going outside of the package system every time
> there is a kernel update, but I don't have to wait for a third-party
> repository to produce an updated package.
>
> My comments are based on my own needs only, YMMV. In particular, since I
> use MythTV, I have to have VDPAU in order for playback of HD recordings
> to work.
>
> --Greg

If you want your Nvidia video card to work like it is supposed to the
use the proprietary drivers.
Unless you want to recompile the drivers with your kernel every time you
have a kernel update or driver update then do not use the pkg.run file
from Nvidia.

Instead use the builds created by RPMFusion at least then the kernel
mods come with the driver and it is all done for you.

The only drawback to using the RPM builds is they are older drivers and
not the recent driver package from nvidia.

On the other hand if you have new FERMI type video card from Nvidia then
you will want to bite the bullet and use the latest run files from
Nvidia as the latest drivers will run your FERMI type card much better
than say the 195.36.31.
The driver 195.36.31 will run the FERMI based cards okay but the latest
file 260.19.12 will give much better support for the latest 400 series gpu.

Either way the proprietary drivers are the way to go.

I hope F14 has improved Nouveau enough to use it as a mainstay for
Nvidia cards but the last time I looked they are still a very long way
away from a completely compatible driver package for Nvidia cards

There is a good installation directions here
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

Michael