Re: f13 pulse and passthrough

On 12 October 2010 23:12, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:09:55PM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>> On 12 October 2010 16:02, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >

>> > In PulseAudio, each sink has an associated "monitor" source that you
>> > can use to monitor what's going out of that sink (such as listening to
>> > a mixdown).
>> >

>> How do you actually listen to a monitor? The only way I've found so
>> far is to use the loopback device which has a ~ 1/3 second latency.
>
> You can do this by running 'pamon' (from the pulseaudio-utils package)
> and assigning the stream you create to some sink.  I just did it both
> by 'folding back' onto the same output device and by assigning to a
> new device.  In both cases latency was not apparent -- when I folded
> back it sounded just like I increased the gain of the input stream.

Thanks, I'm afraid I need a little more help. The best I've managed is running:
pamon -r alsa_output.pci-0000_02_09.0.analog-surround-40.monitor
and
pamon -p alsa_output.pci-0000_02_09.0.analog-surround-40.monitor
Which has a noticeable latency between the two. There's a delay
corresponding to the difference in starting time, but even trying the
latency and raw options I can't eliminate it. Is the difference
possibly because I'm using a recording input as source? (To be sure
we're on the same page I'm effectively trying to monitor line-in.)

--
imalone