Re: No Sound on F13 (Realtek ALC889 on board)

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 03:09:15 +0900
Nakai <hqiq8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have tried with Ubuntu 9.0.4 and Fedora 10. (Live CD)
> but still no sound.
>
> It's strange because it had sound with F10 installed to HD on same
> machine about one year ago.
>
> So I doubt hardware failure...

Everything you've shown indicates you should have sound.

Here is a way to check your system directly through alsa.  From your
previous output, alsa is recognizing your card, so it should play
properly.  If it does, then the issue is in the controls that are
applied after alsa.

Install the package pavuctl, the pulseaudio volume control, if you
haven't already.

Open it (Sound & video -> Mixers -> PulseAudio Volume Control on Gnome
F14)

Go to the last tab, configuration.

>From the drop down selection for profile, select Off.

Now open a terminal in X or go to a console.

Type the command
alsamixer
and check that all the outputs are turned on and have appropriate level.
Esc exits.

Type the command
aplay -Dplughw:0,0 <some wav>
replacing <some wav> with a wav file name.

Given the values you showed in amixer, this should play sound.  If you
want to be doubly sure, use a sound player that shows the output
visually (audacity, xmms, audacious) instead of aplay.  Make sure you
configure it to use alsa instead of pulseaudio before you try.

If it doesn't, there has probably been a regression in the driver for
your card, and you should open a problem ticket with alsa.

If it does, the problem is in pulseaudio / gui configuration of sound.
I suggest you then play with the volume control in PulseAudio, and use
only pulseaudio (turn off any gnome or kde sound control) until you
have sound again.

PS  You definitely have an output device (speakers, headset) connected?

PPS  There is a script at the alsa website
(http://www.alsa-project.org) called alsa-info.sh that will give huge
amounts of information about your sound system and configuration.  It
seems you already have lots, but it might give an additional hint.