Re: Fedora SMP and 12 core cpu's

On 10/02/2010 10:54 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 09:59 -0700, JD wrote:
>> I was browsing for info on 12 core cpu's and found
>> that AMD released them or announced back in March.
>> The price is steep of course.
>> What I would like to know is the degree of granularity
>> of the SMP implementation in Linux.
>> Does anyone have an inside track on that?
>> Or point to some internal documentation?
> I'm not sure I understand the question.
> The Linux kernel itself has no issues supporting 100's of CPUs (either
> real, or SMT).
Not to be mean or anything....So please take it lightly:
Did I say linux has issues in supporting large smp? NO!
You are answering your own question. not mine.

> As for application support, it greatly depends on the application being
> used. (E.g. Database, web-server, math, 3D, etc)

Did I say anything about application support? No!
Again, you are answering your own question.

I have found a few articles mentioning the smp granularity,
but do not discuss the linux smp implementation within the
context of granularity and overhead, and optimum degree
of granularity.