Re: size discrepancy

Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe <at> gmail.com> writes:

> One can also tell dd to read by single physical layer sectors using the
"bs=2048"option. This may increase the read time a bit, but generally results in
s more consistent
> chance of getting the correct size.-- G.Wolfe Woodbury

The rawread script does this - it reads both the block size (normally 2048) and
the block count from the ISO header, and composes a dd command that looks
something like

dd if=/dev/dvd bs=2048 count=1765915 conv=notrunc,noerror

for a 3616593920-byte ISO (assuming the information in the ISO header is
correct, which it currently is for Fedora install DVD and CD images, but not
Live or netinst). JD's original command also used the "bs=2k" option which is
equivalent (but not the count option). The dd man page only documents upper-case
K for 1024, but I tested and lower-case k works the same.